Officer Safety Toolkit Available from DOJ
Safety is always the number one concern as law enforcement, whether it is officer safety or the safety of others. A toolkit distributed by the U.S. Department of Justice offers resources and programs to assist law enforcement in keeping cities safe and helping communities ensure the safety of their officers. Some of the programs identified within this manual include:
The Valor Initiative
- VALOR Officer Safety and Wellness Training and Technical Assistance Program delivers current, dynamic classroom and web-based trainings at no cost to law enforcement that focus on recognizing indicators of dangerous situations, techniques for defusing difficult encounters, implementing casualty care and rescue tactics, emphasizing professional policing standards and improving wellness and resilience.
- Active Shooter Response Training and Technical Assistance Program provides a variety of active-shooter, tactical-response trainings to prepare officers to more safely and effectively respond to active-shooter situations. The program also trains officers how to better prepare their community members, should they be involved in an active-shooter event, to increase the safety of all involved.
- Destination Zero promotes awareness and highlights innovative and promising safety and wellness programs that can serve as models for law enforcement agencies seeking to implement similar programs.
- Officer Safety and Wellness Pilot Research and Evaluation Program is a coordinated research and evaluation pilot program that will assess the impact of VALOR Initiative resources delivered in three law enforcement agencies.
- De-Escalation Training and Technical Assistance Program provides law enforcement with evidence-based knowledge, tools, and skills to better defuse and resolve tense situations with the least amount of force necessary
- Blue Courage Program is a multi-day training event focused on the human development of law enforcement professionals. It draws on relevant literature and proven research on human effectiveness, resilience, psychology, leadership development, and neuroscience. The goal is personal and cultural transformation through influences that are beyond traditional law enforcement training.
Other information included within this publication include:
- Bulletproof Vest Partnerships
- Public Safety Officer’s Benefits
- Funding Programs
- Research Programs
- Federal Resources available to law enforcement
- Informational Sharing Resources
- Event De-confliction
If you would like to have information researched or shared with our Kentucky law enforcement community, email your request to Patrick Miller.